Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our group is starting to get a pretty good number of full-bodies but I'm thinking we might be getting a little heavy on one body style.

What does everyone use for full-body goose decoy ratios when field hunting? For example, I heard the other day you should only have 1 sentry per dozen. Is that true for the actives also? What about feeders? Does it change throughout the season?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
Our group is starting to get a pretty good number of full-bodies but I'm thinking we might be getting a little heavy on one body style.

What does everyone use for full-body goose decoy ratios when field hunting? For example, I heard the other day you should only have 1 sentry per dozen. Is that true for the actives also? What about feeders? Does it change throughout the season?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I know guys that use nothing but sleepers late in the year.

·
pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
I actually just figured the numbers today...My group just upped our full body spread from 10 to 15 dz this year... 3 of us split up the cost for 5 more dz...

To give an example: out of 5 dz, 2.5dz were feeders, 1.5dz were actives, and 1 dz sentries for extra measure

out total FB spread looks like this:
8z feeders
5.5 dz actives
1.5dz sentries

1/4 of our dekes are ffds

Not to mention the 3 dz shells that we have that have a mix of head positions

·
pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
As for # of sentry theory... It depends... Watch/listen to the birds in the field... I use no fewer than 2 regardless.... And have use as many as 8 with only 2 dz other dekes... If the birds are vocal I'll use more... If not I'll use fewer.... You geese that call at birds in the air are not actives all the time and def not feeders... I personally have no experience with the number of sentries hurting our groups success

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Is there going to be a test at the end of the season? Seems like a lot of math and theories to remember.

Use more feeders (a lot more) than actives/sentries then shoot em when their feet drop. If youre not killing birds, it won't be because your ratios are off.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Watch live geese sometime in a field and that should help personally I think people get carried away with to many feeders. I have more actives then I do feeders just for the fact usually out of a flock of a dozen or so birds there is usually only a few eating at a time while the rest look out or are milling around the field in search of food. Another thing with allot of feeders scattered around it can make it look like there is allot of feed in the field.

·
pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
Watch live geese sometime in a field and that should help personally I think people get carried away with to many feeders. I have more actives then I do feeders just for the fact usually out of a flock of a dozen or so birds there is usually only a few eating at a time while the rest look out or are milling around the field in search of food. Another thing with allot of feeders scattered around it can make it look like there is allot of feed in the field.
1) Alot of feed is a good thing
2) If there is alot of feed or isn't, the geese will also be the judge of that. They can see grain suprisingly well.
3) you hunt fields to catch them as they come into FEED.

Be on the x and you won't have problems. Period. With 1 or 100 decoys.

(Here's is your post and my response)

·
the frugal fowler
3,197 Posts
I grab every decoy I have when I head to the feild. Ratio's don't mean squat to the geese I am killing!

But, I will say I have more feeders than actives or lookers.

When you scout geese, do you look for geese that are feeding in a feild, or geese that are just standing in a feild?

·
Registered
684 Posts
As long as your on the X I wouldn't worry about the ratio.
This was your suggestion?

So I ask would 100% sentry and 0% feeder work. Ratio does matter, always will matter. Not ripping you just informing you your suggestion was incorrect. You can shoot birds with anything every once in a while, for consistancy this is one of the big highlighted areas guys over look.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.