Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys,
I got a pretty nice sized gift certificate to a golf shop and I'm thinkin about getting a new driver!
I hit the first model of the Nike Sasquatch, love it... I won a Big Bertha 460 last year and gave it to my Dad, but wish I would have kept minus the shaft.
Anywho, Anyone have any suggestions on what to try out?

· Registered
3,019 Posts
That's like asking which hunting boots to buy...

Go talk to "honest" Charlie at Golf Headquarters and throw some into the big screen. Figure out which head you like the look and feel of, then get fitted for the right shaft.
Just like guts in a goose call, the shaft is the most important part of the club once you get past the aesthetics.

That being said...
I've been a Ping guy for the past 4 years. No matter how much new stuff comes out, I can't find anything that I hit straighter or further than my G5. But that's all between my ears.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That being said...
I've been a Ping guy for the past 4 years. No matter how much new stuff comes out, I can't find anything that I hit straighter or further than my G5. But that's all between my ears.

What did you think of the Raptor?

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Have hit both the Rapture and G10 with the shaft I have in my G5 - both great clubs, but they also didn't change the look of the head much with either.

I didn't hit either club any further or straighter than I hit my G5. No way I was going to be talked into replacing it, despite the best efforts of the Ping rep.
I cracked the face of my Ping (again) this summer and hit my old coach's R7 until I got mine back and liked it also - probably hit more fairways with the R7 than I did my Ping, but I didn't have the right shaft and couldn't work the ball at all.
The R7 Tour (with the right shaft) is probably the only driver I'd consider hitting other than my Ping.

· Registered
67 Posts
im playing the cobra l4v X and if you can get past the looks and the sound somewhat, it's pretty close to the longest and most forgiving driver i've hit

go hit as many different kinds as you can and you'll be able to tell which one is the best for you

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
coot_shooter said:
im playing the cobra l4v X and if you can get past the looks and the sound somewhat, it's pretty close to the longest and most forgiving driver i've hit

go hit as many different kinds as you can and you'll be able to tell which one is the best for you
I played in a tournament last year with a guy that hit a Cobra and that was the most god awful sound I have ever heard!

· Registered
2,198 Posts
Well this is right up my alley since I'm in the business :D

I have to agree with Gude and say its a great idea to go to a store and get on a launch monitor and get fit for the right clubhead, loft, shaft and shaft flex. Getting the right spin rate and launch angle can increase your drives by 5-20+ yards :lol:

As far as recommendations, I am a Titleist guy and can't wait to get the 909 this spring as I've had a Titleist driver since the 975D days. Of course, I am "on staff" with them but I just love the feel, sound and playability of a Titleist driver. Their new 909 is getting alot of attention on tour too.

My next favorite club would probably be Ping and I would check out the new Rapture V2, it's long but more pricey then the G10.

Others would be the TaylorMade Burner and the new R9 also which might be alittle expensive but sick with the ability to adjust your ball flight by 70 yards :idea: . Cobra's S9-1 driver is also reasonable priced, forgiveable and long as well. The sound on them keeps improving too with their frequency tuning inserts.

Even through Tiger is my favorite golfer, I am not a big fan of Nike golf clubs. Actually last year in our shop, we didn't sell a single Nike driver. Our best sellers are Cobra, Ping, Titleist and TaylorMade.

· Registered
311 Posts
I have always played Titleist as well, from the 983 up to the 907. Last year I got a G10 just for the heck of it and have not picked up the Titleist since. It is WAY more forgiving and I picked up about 15 to 20 more yards on my drive as well. It sets up pretty much like a 905 at address but definately puts it out there farther.
Todd

· Registered
631 Posts
I would also look at the Cleveland Hi-Bore XL, after test driving several clubs at Golf Galaxy I this was the one I hit best. Take advice of others and at least go and test several models before you walk in there with your mind made up. Plus man Boo Weekly the only guy on the PGA sponsored by Mossy Oak uses one.

· Banned
8,540 Posts
I have taylor made drivers and really like them. Never did like their irons though so I went with Lynx irons and really like them.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
I bought a used Taylor Made R5 with a Tour Stiff shaft and really like it. They said I should get the stiffer shaft because I swing so hard. I'm not a great golf (80's usually), but driving the ball can really help me or hurt me. I can hit the ball a long ways, so if I am hitting drives straight (happens once in a while is all), I can normally reach par 5's with 2 shots. Driver and a long iron. But then again, if I'm not hitting it straight I usually just hit a 3 iron off the tee. I can get about 240 yards or so off the tee with my 3 iron, so I don't sacrifice a whole lot when hitting it.

I believe Al has a Cleveland "Launcher" and he seems to like it.

Mike, I look forward to getting my butt kicked on the golf course by you this spring. Maybe we can chase some longbeards around also.

· Registered
3,780 Posts
man...its nice to see a lot of you guys play golf too. i got hammered on once starting a golf thread on another outdoors website. i haven't got to play a lot in the last 2 years, but i just cant hit a driver thats not a bertha. they've always felt right in my hands. i also cant swing anything thats not a stiff...but i'm also a pretty big guy with a pretty big swing....

so i want to know when the iawaterfowlers golf outing is...i'd be down with a little golf, followed by some steaks and drinks this summer...plus we can all bring our goose calls and torment the geese on the course.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
altrocker1 said:
man...its nice to see a lot of you guys play golf too. i got hammered on once starting a golf thread on another outdoors website. i haven't got to play a lot in the last 2 years, but i just cant hit a driver thats not a bertha. they've always felt right in my hands. i also cant swing anything thats not a stiff...but i'm also a pretty big guy with a pretty big swing....

so i want to know when the iawaterfowlers golf outing is...i'd be down with a little golf, followed by some steaks and drinks this summer...plus we can all bring our goose calls and torment the geese on the course.
That would be so kick ass!

· Registered
414 Posts
I haven't played in a couple years and then went out again last year one time. I shot a 86 not horrible but not great. I played 5 days a week when I lived in AZ but those days went bye bye, when I had kids and moved back here.

I think I'm going to get back into it this year but we will see.

· Registered
43 Posts
AJB said:
I have Taylor Made drivers and really like them. Never did like their irons though so I went with Lynx irons and really like them.
Wow Adam our golf bags are nearly the same. Taylor Made driver, Lynx irons (getting replaced this year hopefully, too short) but I have Adams low lie fairway woods.

· Registered
40 Posts
I have hit a lot of drivers throughout the years but the main thing in between the ears as others have said. Get whatever you feel is the best. Definetly go to a shop that you can hit several at a time at screen. I am a Ping hitter myself but that is what I hit the best.

· Registered
3,019 Posts
IAWaterfowlers Golf Outing:

Date: June 6th
When: 8am (36 holes optional)
Where: Glen Oaks G&CC - West Des Moines, IA
Details: Golf, Cart, Lunch, Drinks and Dinner will be included
Cost: $0

I'd like to say a quick thanks to AJB and Duck Magnet for picking up the tab for the event - awfully white of all of you.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gude said:
IAWaterfowlers Golf Outing:

Date: June 6th
When: 8am (36 holes optional)
Where: Glen Oaks G&CC - West Des Moines, IA
Details: Golf, Cart, Lunch, Drinks and Dinner will be included
Cost: $0

I'd like to say a quick thanks to AJB and Duck Magnet for picking up the tab for the event - awfully white of all of you.
I just put in for vacation for it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.