Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this at Scheels for $4.99 on sale and figured I would give it a shot. Holy spoonies! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why they would drop flocks of spoonies when there were other ducks flying around. I could see shooting one or two but they were really going to town on the spoonies throughout the DVD. Most guys I know, including myself, won't even shoot at a decoying bunch of spoonies but these guys are making money doing it.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I purchased this at Scheels for $4.99 on sale and figured I would give it a shot. Holy spoonies! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why they would drop flocks of spoonies when there were other ducks flying around. I could see shooting one or two but they were really going to town on the spoonies throughout the DVD. Most guys I know, including myself, won't even shoot at a decoying bunch of spoonies but these guys are making money doing it.
Spoonies are cool birds man. I don't buy that they taste any different either. they eat the same invertebrates that teal and all the other puddlers do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spoonies are cool birds man. I don't buy that they taste any different either. they eat the same invertebrates that teal and all the other puddlers do.
I'm not knocking the taste, I just think they are ugly stupid birds. Many times this year we would have spoonies in the spread and we just stood up, blind open, and kept talking and they just stayed there. I just don't think a professional DVD should be 90% spoony shoots.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have to disagree with them tasting the same. But if you like to eat them, have at it. I for one will pass on every spoonie that I see. They smell bad and taste bad. There are plenty of other fowl out there that are much better on the old taste buds.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I let my 7 yr old son shoot some this year. They were his first ducks. Wasn't thrilled about cooking them. A wise old man told me to soak them in salt water for 12 hrs then buttermilk for 12 hrs. I coated them in egg,flour,bisquick and lemon pepper and put in thr skillet. Believe it or not they tasted pretty damn good. Between Trey, Myself and my daughter Taylor, we ate all it including the heart, liver and gizzards.

·
Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
i dont go hunting to bird watch. id be killing em also
I don't know that I'd pay good money for a DVD of a spoony shoot fest when I can just go hunting with gifters and see it live.:p

·
Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
Shit, I like to shoot the hoodies not the spooners. Hoodies and bullet proof ducks.
It's not that the ducks are bulletproof, it's the fact that that maxus of yours doesn't like xperts.

·
Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.