Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
lost
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting shipped out to do a presentation for work to Idaho Falls the first weekend in June. Sadly, my presentation will only take 2 hours on Saturday, so I have most of Friday, pretty much all day Saturday, and Sunday am to explore the Snake River [Maybe others?].

Anyone been out to this part? The Henry's Fork or South Fork? Or other areas? Willing to drive a bit, but trying to keep it as close to base camp to have more fishing time. I have started to do some research, and have found some good local shops, but any experiences you can share would be helpful.

Also, anyone know the wading rules in Idaho? I have scoured their site, and have not come up with anything.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I fished put there two summers ago. Lots of people everywhere. Fly shops were friendly but very expensive. The currents can be crazy strong even in claf deep water. We mainly spin fished a few we were with used fly rods. If you've fished nw iowa forget everything from up there, it's a different animal. There are tons of access points all over to get you onto water. There's maps you can get out there too that'll give you rules and regs for the different streams.

·
lost
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://snakeriversturgeonfishing.com I'd go and fish for these trout called sturgeon instead.
I fished put there two summers ago. Lots of people everywhere. Fly shops were friendly but very expensive. The currents can be crazy strong even in claf deep water. We mainly spin fished a few we were with used fly rods. If you've fished nw iowa forget everything from up there, it's a different animal. There are tons of access points all over to get you onto water. There's maps you can get out there too that'll give you rules and regs for the different streams.
Thanks, I have done some fishing in Colorado on big water, so I have SOME experience. Good to hear that they are helpful, because that is what I am going to be looking for with short fishing time. How did you guys do?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I lived in Pocatello Idaho for a couple of years. It has been about 12 years since I have been out there so my advice could be dated. The area I spent the most time fishing was the Sawtooth mountain range in the Ketchem or Stanley area. That will be a bit of a drive from you. You will have access to the snake river which is a great river to fish, no mater where you are. I would head up towards Rexburg or St. Anthony area to get out away from the crowds a bit. I know in the area you will be, a lot of guys would buy a pass and fish the Indian reservation near Blackfoot. There are some great spring fed creeks there. I worked with a guy who would cacth 7-8 lb rainbows on a regular basis on the reservation. While in Pocatello, one of my favorite things to do was hike up to a small mountain lake or stream. The kind that most people would go right by. The fish weren't very big, but they were plentyful and they were wild. You can find similar streams East of the Idaho Falls area. I would literally just drive a moutain road, get out and fish a stream. I know you don't have that kind of time, but it is something to try if all else fails. Another thought would be to fish the Yellowstone in Yellowstone. I liked to hike down by the tower falls area and put on a dry fly and just let the current from the falls bounce it around. All of a sudden your line would go tight. It was a lot of fun. I don't know if this helps at all because I don't have specific access points for you, but you can catch fish all along that area you will be in. It is fun to wade a stream and catch those wild trout. Local fly shops will be a big help when you get there. Man.... you have me wishing I could go back out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.