Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a little input here, which decoy would you recommend for adding a little color in the spred, a few oversize bufflehead, canvasbacks, pintails, or golden eye? Or if there are some different ones lemme know. Gunna buy some to bring in a few more ducks, Thanks

·
Chris Wearmouth
3,497 Posts
The white in the bufflehead would deff stand out, as well as canvasback, but you could also go with black ducks too even though I have yet to shoot one in iowa. Pintails are very akward to fit in the bag because of the tails haha, just to let you know :25:

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
Depends really on the area you are hunting. I run alot of divers and mallards. The white sticks out great. The marsh I hunt you can't shoot geese so goose decoys are basically worthless because it seems the ducks know the geese come into any decoys.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to add a little color instead of just the plain mallards. There are both bufflehead and canvasbacks, occasionally goldeneyes, and rarely pintails. I didn't know if it would bring more ducks of those species to take a look at the decoys since there would be a little color rather than speeding on by

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Just wanted to add a little color instead of just the plain mallards. There are both bufflehead and canvasbacks, occasionally goldeneyes, and rarely pintails. I didn't know if it would bring more ducks of those species to take a look at the decoys since there would be a little color rather than speeding on by
So, I think you're saying you want to attract divers to your spread as well...?
Then add diver decoys.

If you want to add more "color" to attract puddlers - add honkers.

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
I would think this would be a great reason to put out my goose blocks. I would think that you dont see many goose decoys out in your marsh. The ducks would not be used to being shot at over geese.
No not really. The ducks actually flare on the goose decoys at time because they know the geese there will land anywhere anytime. The geese don't care because they know they can not get shot. Hard to explain really you have to see it first hand to understand.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
A few drake shovelers would add some black and white to a puddler spread. I don't have any but I wouldn't shy away from them. I think I'm done buying water dekes for awhile though, I didn't use my floaters enough last year to justify buying any more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.