Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the area goose hunters would like Elk Creek Pool A to be a goose refuge.

A protected roost.

IDNR is mulling over the idea.

I can certainly see both sides, I've water hunted on the island for geese many times in the past but the last few years there has been a massive shift to field hunting and protected roosts are very helpfull for field hunting success.

What are your opinions?

G

·
Not being from down there I can only say that up here we have many spot's that I would love to see become refuges for geese.

·
Registered
699 Posts
So now both A and B Would be Refuge!? Also Rice lake is a refuge that is only a few miles away, IT looks like they are taking away a lot of public hunting!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So now both A and B Would be Refuge!?

I'm not sure what would happen with the B inviolate refuge, I am sure however that it is open for suggestions what you all would like to see happen.

It could be that A would be a goose closed zone and B would remain the inviolate refuge with duck hunting allowed in A (which would probably defeat the purpose of closing A since it's such an open area) or B could be opened up and the inviolate refuge would be A which has it's own problems being A has the most accessable and boatable water.

Also much like Sweet Marsh having the inviolate refuge in the middle of the public area gives the most access to the birds to public land hunters instead of nearby private lands getting the bulk of the benefit.

It's all an interesting discussion.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I will be in favor of acouple options they are throwing around to go thru. They are trying to create another flock (flight) of birds in this area. The closed goose zone is so DAMN big, they need to help present more options to field hunting. There is more to it, I believe there will be a public meeting type deal set up for discussions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts