Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Banned
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the other day when Jobu brought up the idea about making duck magnets into snow magnets, I thought well why not give it a try. I already had one snow goose magnet so I kind of had a reference to go off of. They don't look perfect but I think they will work with no problem. Here are a couple pics.

· Banned
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured if anything they are smaller than the regular snows but so are ross geese!

· Banned
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say the duck magnet is 3/4 the size of the goose magnet???? I went to look at their site for the wing specs in length but they don't have them posted either.

· Banned
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple more pics with them in the air. The bigger one is the snow magnet the smaller one is the mallard magnet.

· Banned
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
going to try it this spring. Got it for cheap on sale. Rob runs them and they seem to work for him so i thought i would give it a shot.

· Registered
2,485 Posts
duck magnet said:
Reel Wing in the background on pic one, you run them for snows??
Those things suck. Definately do not waiste your money on them! You will spend more time trying to keep them in the air than hunting over them. I've hunted over magnets and I can't say that I think they help much. I don't think they hurt anything I'm just not sold on them. If I was going to spend much money on flyers they would be sillosocks.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Matt said:
duck magnet said:
Those things suck. Definately do not waiste your money on them! You will spend more time trying to keep them in the air than hunting over them. I've hunted over magnets and I can't say that I think they help much. I don't think they hurt anything I'm just not sold on them. If I was going to spend much money on flyers they would be sillosocks.
Just need to use reel wings on the right day. Work alot better on a fishing pole.

· Registered
4,710 Posts
since you already had them they will work just fine. wouldn't worry much about size difference. they take more wind to look natural than the sillo fliers do that is the only drawback of them... not as much movemnet on low wind days. and if they see the overspray wing tips... start in on em!!!

· Registered
2,485 Posts
orange legs said:
Matt said:
duck magnet said:
Just need to use reel wings on the right day. Work alot better on a fishing pole.
I've used them on alot of days....and they always sucked. Never tried a fishing pole though but don't really care to. They were not mine and I don't hunt with the guys that had them anymore. One time on a slow day one of them ended up as a flying target. That was the most enjoyment I got out of them.

· Registered
1,588 Posts
I would never buy or use a reelwing in my spread even if it meant I would get a 100 bird day. The owner is such a tool. He used to drive around Fargo with dead snows on his vehicle. Grade A tool. Thank God he left or quit doing it, which ever reason I'm glad I don't see it anymore.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
duckduckgoose said:
We've had days where they worked well, would bring the birds down within shooting range. Always worth a try when nothing else is working.
They definetly have there days. Some times they don't sometimes they do. But if you don't have a tornado or flyers, might as well try it.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Matt said:
duck magnet said:
+1 on the SS flyers. Seems like if guys use flyers, that's what they're using. My uncle swears by them. He's not a guide or an 'expert', but he hunted 4 days last year and killed a little over 200 birds. He's got about 30 I believe. I think we all know that typically, snows get so close (excluding small groups of rossy's and singles) and then stall.....whether it's 30 yards or 50 yards. If placed correctly, they can help hide blinds and they stall right over top of them more times than not. BOOM.

· Banned
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
orange legs said:
duckduckgoose said:
We've had days where they worked well, would bring the birds down within shooting range. Always worth a try when nothing else is working.
They definetly have there days. Some times they don't sometimes they do. But if you don't have a tornado or flyers, might as well try it.
I agree. Going to give it a whirl. If it doesn't work big deal I will take it down. No skin off my back! I have found that we have had good luck with flying decoys in our spread. Wether it be magnets or the hovering socks so just as well give the reel wing a shot.

· Registered
2,485 Posts
AJB said:
orange legs said:
duckduckgoose said:
I agree. Going to give it a whirl. If it doesn't work big deal I will take it down. No skin off my back! I have found that we have had good luck with flying decoys in our spread. Wether it be magnets or the hovering socks so just as well give the reel wing a shot.
Apparently I didn't pay enough attention to the thread and see that you already have one. Hell if you already have one use it no doubt. I meant it is not something I would suggest spending money on as I think there are better things out there for the money. The only time I really noticed the reelwing maybe helping was with with small bunchs and singles seemed to key on it a bit.....as long as you can keep the thing in the air. Sounds like the fishing pole thing may be worth a try to help that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.