Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Pelican
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then you hear of a guy shooting a sea duck here in Iowa. This morning I knocked down a drake mallard, walk over to get it and look up and two ducks are locked right up on me standing in the decoys doing moch 10(I thought bluebills for sure), they get to 15 yds before I can even get on them, knocked the first one down and the 2nd got away. Look in the water at what the hell I just shot and instantly see the big bill. SCOTER! So now I'm on cloud 9 that I just shot a duck I've never seen in the wild but mad because I missed the other one, thinking it was probably a drake that got away. Well a hour later here it comes goes around the edge of the decoys and lands with coot aways away. I ended up walking up to him in the wide open water and got to 30 yds and let him have it. So now not only do I have one rare duck in hand, I now have 2. Birds of several lifetimes here in Iowa. Unfortunatly they were both juvies. I did some reading up on them when I got home to figure which Scoter I shot, they are Surf Scoters. Had one been a plumed male I would have had to go up in the weeds for awhile.

Pretty neet reading about them here http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/96/_/Surf_Scoter.aspx and in my Waterfowl in Iowa book by Jack Musgrove

·
Pelican
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reit38 said:
congrats. mounting them even tho, theyre juvies?
The old man was telling me I need to, but I can't say they are the prettiest ducks ever. That and I ended up haveing to dep charge one and the other I damn near blew the wing right off it. :cry: I'll put one away in the freezer but after finding out their nicknames are sea coot I have to atleast put one in the frying pan. :lol:

·
Registered
520 Posts
IAtaxidermist said:
...... after finding out their nicknames are sea coot I have to atleast put one in the frying pan. :lol:
All I can say is marinate them first in some red wine vinegar if you are going to fry them!

if you make sausage then that would be your best bet. Kind of masks the "flavor".....

·
Registered
981 Posts
Nice Haul!!

Couple of years ago at our river blind, a pair came into the decoys and I dumped 1 of em. They other made it off, the very next day it came back and got wacked. Same thing happened the next season. They are gregarious little fellas evidently

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.