Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of use my blind needs to go to bed. It’s a homemade quick set style of blind. I have always used snow fence with a tarp as backer and about 60 pounds of ditch grass. I’m looking at buying one. Beaver tail has good reviews but can you work a dog well from the front of the boat?? This is a must for me. I am also looking at buying a quick set.
I need a lighter solution my old blind is a easy 150 pounds

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
After years of use my blind needs to go to bed. It's a homemade quick set style of blind. I have always used snow fence with a tarp as backer and about 60 pounds of ditch grass. I'm looking at buying one. Beaver tail has good reviews but can you work a dog well from the front of the boat?? This is a must for me. I am also looking at buying a quick set.
I need a lighter solution my old blind is a easy 150 pounds
Drop the coin for a Pop Up. You will have it for years. I had mine for years and the person who bought my boat and blind still is using it. He is a guide in up state NY. The blind was new in 2005. Mine son has one that is at least 20 years old and still going strong on Iowa marshes.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any other input before I drop almost a grand on a blind??? Please.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Buy a Beavertail with about 25 lbs of Raffia. Will last you a long time. I have had mine for over 7 seasons. Simple design. Easy up and down. Easy to remove when the season is over. my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy a Beavertail with about 25 lbs of Raffia. Will last you a long time. I have had mine for over 7 seasons. Simple design. Easy up and down. Easy to remove when the season is over. my 2 cents
I have been checking them out. Is there a big area up front for the dog?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I have been checking them out. Is there a big area up front for the dog?
Not sure how much you are willing to spend but this is the pop up blind that I have been talking about. These are the original pop ups and last for years and years but they also cost a lot more than the copies. You should really check them out as it would probably be the last blind you will ever buy. My son has one that's at least 20 years old.

http://popupblind.com/

They are custom made to fit your boat. When I had mine I had a platform on the bow that the dog was on. Jim used to own it and they were in Madison NE when I had mine made. Jim moved to southern Iowa and has since sold the company, about a year ago, to a guy in Columbus NE.

·
Registered
418 Posts
A new blind is about 1500 bucks if I remember correctly... if I did not have the prototype on my boat, or hunted out of my boat more often than I do, I would have a new one. I have had an avery and hunted from a beavertail... the popup is the only way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts