Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02-17-11
We got the skin on and got it painted. One side shows the fencing being put on. We also welded a small bracket onto the back to cover up the mud motor a bit. Let me know what you think!! Huff

Got the Frame Welded. It was difficult to get the bends, as nothing is square on the boat at all. 18 guage 3/4" steel square tube. We bent the sides with a conduit bender that created minimal kink. We welded in gussets on the bends as supports. Side door and front door. I was able to skin the front door with a piece of polystyriene (sp??) that I was given as a sample to paint on. The skin will be the same material. The side supports have a strip of closed cell weatherstrip to prevent rattling. The top has foam on the rails to prevent snagging anything sharp. Next is building something to cover up the back for the mud motor, yet be removeable so the motor can be taken off with ease. On the front deck, a piece of aluminum angle will be put into place to act as a splash guard, hence the gap on the bottom of the door from the deck. The blind may look tall, but when I'm standing next to the boat while it's on the trailer, I'm taller than the top of the blind. When I'm sitting inside, its about chin level. Very low profile..From there, it's a matter of putting in pink foam board between the supports for insulation, fence it, and grass it. Of course the wiring will need to be completed as well. Hope you guys like. I will keep posting pics as I go. Give me any comments or advice....Thanks Huff
02-17-11
We got the skin on and got it painted. One side shows the fencing being put on. We also welded a small bracket onto the back to cover up the mud motor a bit. Let me know what you think!! Huff

·
Banned
7,439 Posts
Looks like a good start. Hope that standard 14footer will with stand the weight. I had a standard 14 and sunk it one windy day at the marsh.

·
Registered
878 Posts
advice which maybe you have already done with that side door but wherever you decide will be for decoy storage make a door in the side right there so you can stand outside the boat and pick up decoys and put them away. that way it only takes one guy to put decoys away instead of handing them into the boat from the outside then one guy putting them away inside the boat.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
18 guage weighs about .4lbs per foot. I have about 110 feet on it give or take. I'll be generous and say at most the whole thing weighs 60 lbs..Thats a very heavy estimate.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wendlwacker said:
advice which maybe you have already done with that side door but wherever you decide will be for decoy storage make a door in the side right there so you can stand outside the boat and pick up decoys and put them away. that way it only takes one guy to put decoys away instead of handing them into the boat from the outside then one guy putting them away inside the boat.
That's why I have the door in the front on the right side. I only hunt with about 2 doz max dekes. Very easy to throw them back into the boat.

·
Registered
878 Posts
GooseHunter131 said:
Wendlwacker said:
That's why I have the door in the front on the right side. I only hunt with about 2 doz max dekes. Very easy to throw them back into the boat.
alright just checking my blind doesnt have that door and it drives me nuts

·
Registered
708 Posts
just a thought, dont know where your dog is going to sit but its going to need to be able to see the spread at most all time. unless your dog does blind retrieves also what is going on the front deck? good place for a decoy box, and a mount for you lp. bottle if you choose to run lines up and down the length of the sides. i'd also wire your battery(s) to the front to balance some wieght. just a thought. lookin like its going to be a killin machine before its all dont.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Huff you should run the wiring in conduit welded to the inside before inslat.
and if your front running light is welded on it will always be in the way. put both up on the bind. how wide is your boat? where do you hunt most of the time??

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mud- I dont have a dog, and I just usually hunt marshes. I made the deck like that for a few reasons. I am putting a mount for a 10 lb propane tank to keep that out of the boat and have it on a flat surface. I want to have an easy way to get into the boat. I would like to come up with a way to put a small ladder on the front or some sort of step. I hate getting into boats like your getting out of a pool. If in the event I go with someone who has a dog, it can sit on the deck. The boat is a 14 ft 36" floor about 57" on the gunwales at the widest point. I set this boat up as a one person rig, but two could go comfortably if needed. I think a 14 ft will be plenty for one guy. I'm usually by myself anyways. As far as the weight goes, I run my mud motor off of a lawn mower battery. I will probably do the same for my lights. Putting them in the front is a definate consideration though.

Wendl- It would be a pain not having a side door. Very easy access to the inside of the boat for sure weather on the water or sitting in the garage on the trailer. I might even make another one as well.

Boat Hunter- I have a buddy who used to be an electrician doing the wiring for me. He is running the wire through some sort of PVC that you can heat up and bend to whatever you need. Pipe straps screwed into the frame will secure it. A box for some toggle switches and the whole thing will be waterproofed. I played with the idea of the light on top of the blind also. If I can, I will probably go that route. Just nothing to really attach it to though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
lots of fun to build your own blind isnt it.
I have built several and I think as good as it sounds insulating is not all worth the time effort or money unless you can completlely enclose your whole blind the slightest little air gap (ie door opening hole your head sticks out etc) loses way more heat every second its open than any insulating you do to your boat will retain. But like I said its YOUR blind and YOU can build however you phuckin :lol: please!
Good luck
nice job with the picts and updates

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the compliments!! The skin is going to be plastic..similar to what a drivers license is made from. It's the same stuff you see on the front door of the blind in the pic. I realize the insulation wont help out a ton, but it will also stabalize the skin from being blown off while going down the highway. I will add a few covers on the top as well. When I hunt, I'm gonna have an open space just big enough to shoot out of. I don't want the birds seeing a big dark hole either...I'll post more pics as I progress. This is just the beginning. Thanks again!! Huff

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Looks like a well built blind. I wish I had some kind of side doors, without them you almost have to have 1 guy in the boat handing out decoys.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am completly ignorant to boat hunting but with that style of blind do you shoot standing up or sitting?

I started a boat project on a 14 ft and quit after a guy told me I couldn't shoot standing up, couldn't put more than 500 lbs in it, and there were only two places in CO to use a boat.

Was the guy full of shit on the first two "cant's"?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can shoot however you want and what feels comfortable to you. With the blind height so low on this one, I could probably do it either way. Obviously a smaller boat will be a little less stable than say a 72" wide bottom boat. For me, I park it in cattails or the weeds in the marsh, and that alone will give some stability. If a guy wants to, use some stablilizer poles. Huff

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
missinIA said:
I am completly ignorant to boat hunting but with that style of blind do you shoot standing up or sitting?

I started a boat project on a 14 ft and quit after a guy told me I couldn't shoot standing up, couldn't put more than 500 lbs in it, and there were only two places in CO to use a boat.

Was the guy full of shit on the first two "cant's"?
some guys build em to shoot sitting, others to shoot standing. It depends on how high the sides are built, or if the sides open to allow a shooter to stay seated.

About the 500 lbs, I use a 10 foot between me a friend and my dog, we weigh around 600, this is not counting decoys, guns, and other gear. I only do this on small water though.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Guys!! I'm having the rivets replaced from where I took the seat out as we speak. Tommorrow will be a big day. The motor cover / back piece will be welded, the foam will be cut and put between the supports, and the skin will get put on. If we have enough time, I hope to get the skin painted OD green (the plastic comes in white) and get the fence put on. I'll continue to post pics as we go. Huff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts