Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is starting to see any Bluewings yet I would think some of the first groups should be starting to migrate anytime.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I was wondering if anyone is starting to see any Bluewings yet I would think some of the first groups should be starting to migrate anytime.
Along the Missouri River bottoms in Southwest Iowa, wetland areas are scarce - primarily due to extended dry weather and a low river stage.. For example, the M.U.Payne WMA northwest of Hamburg is mostly dry. There is water in 3 of the 5 borrow pit areas, but they are deeper and are steep sided. The rest of area is bone dry. The area takes water from the river when the stage at Nebraska City is higher than 14.5 feet. Current stage is about 9.65':

... so there is little chance there will be ample water for the Teal. Additionally, the 6 Dakota Reservoirs are significantly below average for this date.

I have seen just a few Bluewings, but by this time of year, I should be seeing hundreds. Hope their migration is later.

As for something positive, I am seeing wonderful numbers of DOVES! Find a harvested wheat field, a hemp (marijuana) patch in an old feedlot, a pond or creek with a very gentle sloping mud bank, and some nearby roost trees ... the hooker is finding enough shot shells! Take an insulated beverage case with some frozen ice packs to chill the birds, a comfortable lawn chair, some drinks AND your favorite hunt partner. My sons started hunting doves with a single shot 28er and 3 boxes of shells at age 8. They were "infected" with the hunting sport and dove hunting is for "old men, women, kids, and disabled folks ... and it is a cheap(er) hunting sport.

FINALLY ... I hope you will remember our Marines, soldiers, airmen, sailors and Guard / Reserve forces as we pass through this very sad & difficult time. Many have made more than 4, 5, or even 6 trips to Iraq and Afghanistan. Do not forget their families as well ... they sacrifice too. Bless those who have given their lives in these battles. Amen.
Sierra Whisky Mike

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Well ... very early today western Iowa and eastern Nebraska got a wide spread, heavy rain. 4 to 6+ inches. The Missouri River is rising ... it's 13.23' and I hope it goes above 15' on the Nebraska City gage ... for a day. That would flood the Payne WMA nicely and with all the smartweed, barnyard grass, and foxtail, it would be ideal. Let's hope!.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
the boy are in the bottoms for the first time today.nice north breeze and cool morning.they got several doves yesterday while scouting.bad dog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts