Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys-
If you have been paying attention to my blind build, I am almost done. I waiting for my pods to arrive so I can get them welded on, and I need to install heaters. Other than that, she is done. Since the last photos, I obviously grassed it, wired the lights, put in a shelf on the inside, built lids, and got a new galvanized trailer. I can take off one lid when it's just me hunting, or two if I am with a buddy. My Mud Motor isn't on it right now because it wouldn't fit in my garage. The bottom photo is the day I brought it home. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Sorry for the delay with the photos, I was without a computer for a while, and am still figuring this one out. Hope you all enjoy. Huff

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Goose Hunter 131
Nice job looks good
One question how do you flip your tops up fast enough to shoot?
Also when the wind is at your back watch out for those lids to crack you in the head!
Dean

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I mentioned in my post, they come off when I hunt. There are 4 lids total. One in the back that will cover up the motor area. Two that are the same size in the middle, and a smaller one towards the front. When it's just me, I pull the pins on the hinges and take off the lid where I sit giving me a shooting hole. Same if I have a buddy next to me. I wanted it fully covered so it will retain heat if I want to sleep in it, and so I dont have a big black hole as seen from an ariel view.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
How many grass kits did you use? Looks Great!! I wanna redo my quickset with all real grass rather then the grass mats.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used about 25 lbs or so of Cabelas Northern Flight Prarie Grass. they had it on sale for half off, so I stocked up. I put it on quite thick as you can tell..

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I thought about gettin around 20 lbs there is a guy on minnesota waterfowler that sells the stuff in bulk. Only other suggestion i have is throw some browns and greens in there for earlier in the year.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Goose hunter 131 your grass looks good should blend right in at long lake this fall. the covers sound familiar. put a few oaks it and your ready.
boathunter

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about gettin around 20 lbs there is a guy on minnesota waterfowler that sells the stuff in bulk. Only other suggestion i have is throw some browns and greens in there for earlier in the year.
When I bought mine from cabelas, I got 10 lbs for 39 bucks. That was a pretty good deal. I later ordered another 10 lbs and they were out of the dyed grass. I got the natural color and dyed it myself...Pain in the rear, and I only dyed about 3 or 4 lbs just to do my lids. If you need 20 lbs, you may as wel get 25lbs from JStern Co in Ohio-that is the miimum order, but the have any color you want for like 4.15 per lb. cabelas just happened to be the better deal that day. But if you want more color choices, go with JStern, and find a buddy who wants some. I guarantee that will be the cheapest you can find it anywhere. They will send you a sample card of the colors as well so you can pick your colors. When you get cabelas grass or Killerweed, you are getting their grass. Killerweed is 30 bucks for two lbs. Do the mark up math on that one, we r getting ripped off. Good luck!! I've already got the greens and browns on clothespins ready to go for the early season!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
good start to finist pics!! and awsome boat. couple questions. so you got 25 lbs of grass from that ohio dealer? for around $120 and second does you dog do blind retrieves or do you just take the dog door off as well? in addition from the pics im getting that your decoy storage is under the front deck, also are you going to put some soat of camo up front and i assume that is ware your lp tank is going to set? sorry so many question i just enjoy home made boats from beginning to end processes!!! once again good work.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my grass from Cabelas just because it was on sale for really cheap, but that would be about the price for JStearn Company if you went through them. I don't have a dog, so no issues there. For the front deck, I have 2 11lb propane tanks that will go there, one on each side. I'll only use one at at time, but have the other in case it runs out and to balance the boat. I'm having some tank holders being welded for me, so those will go on soon. For the deck camo, I have a piece of plastic fence that is grassed that will be draped over it. There really isnt decoy storage. That front deck really isnt that big, and there is a built in seat underneath it, so really no room for anything there. I just plan on using the open boat and stack them in there that way. I dont ever hunt with more than 2 doz duck dekes, and if I'm hunting geese I have about 30 G/H standard floaters...Thanks for the compliments guys. I worked hard at this, have a lot of time into it, but really enjoyed doing it. I think the set up will work pretty well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts