Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am really sick of buying 200 dollars in grass mats every year. But I like the way they it blends in where I hunt. I thought of buying all killer weed for you guys that have killer weed on your boat do you like it? Basically what are the pros and cons of it?

·
Smelly Pirate Hooker
2,713 Posts
I have not used the killer weed, but my dad has the grass mats on his boat and he covers the boat with a tarp every year to keep the elements off the mats. This helps them keep longer. 3 years most of the time but they have lasted as long as 4 but that is pushing it. You could also take them off the boat and roll them up to store them. We have done that in the past as well.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well, for about half that cost you can buy raffia and get about 30 lbs of it. That is what I covered my boat with and I put it on thick!! I only used maybe 25 lbs. That did my whole blind, lids, and my motor cover. Last I knew, Cabelas had it on clearance...10 lbs for 40 bucks. Jsterns Co sells it in bulk already dyed for like 4 bucks a lb, and it is dyed to the color you want. When you buy Cabelas grass, and Avery killerweed, you are getting Jstern grass. Lets think and do the math....30 bucks for 2 lbs of Killerweed or buy it direct and pay 8 bucks for two lbs..Way more cost effective. You can also dye it to the color of your liking, but I'd save yourself the headache and get it already dyed. They will send you a sample card so you know exactly the color you are getting rather than guessing the color from a computer screen. I have three layout blinds covered in raffia for probably 5 years, and it has held up very well. I would reccomend using it. I zip tied mine on and then take the boat for a drive on the highway to get all the loose stuff out. It has held up very well. Hope this helps..Huff

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking about going with the raffia grass there is a guy selling the stuff on Minnesota Waterfowler for pretty cheap. Plus I can never get the grass mats rolled up on my quickset blind.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am thinking about going with the raffia grass there is a guy selling the stuff on Minnesota Waterfowler for pretty cheap. Plus I can never get the grass mats rolled up on my quickset blind.
JSTERNS Co....I'm telling you, you wont find it any cheaper, trust me I looked all over for the cheapest deal for dyed grass. I got mine from Cabelas because they had it half off, but you are limited on your color choice. Look at my last post I put up of my boat on boats and blinds forum. That will give you an idea how much 25 lbs is. If you dont need the minimum 25 lb order, find a buddy and split it up..Good luck

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You must really beat the piss out of your mats, I have had the same ones on my boat for 4 or 5 years and they show 0 wear. They are not avery though. I have them zip tied to a plastic fence type material. I have hunted with guys that try to drape the mats over a blind frame with no backing and they were beat to hell after 1 hunt.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine are on a quckset frame, so the only thing there zip tied to is the top of the frame. Do you know what brand your mats are? I heard Tanglefree makes some good ones.

You must really beat the piss out of your mats, I have had the same ones on my boat for 4 or 5 years and they show 0 wear. They are not avery though. I have them zip tied to a plastic fence type material. I have hunted with guys that try to drape the mats over a blind frame with no backing and they were beat to hell after 1 hunt.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
1st I bought Quackgrass, it held up very well but the color was a little off (Im picky). I thought a few ducks flared off it a thime or 2 so I got some Tangelfree and put that on. It looks better and has also held up well.

I think the secret is backing it. The stuff I use is like a plastic chicken wire.

·
Chris Wearmouth
3,497 Posts
Natural grass is free, you just need some time and a sharp object.

Never had a natural blind flare ducks yet either
+1 The ditches of Iowa are full of all kinds of grasses just go out to a gravel road, and hack away, and zip tie them on. I do it every year and it doesnt cost me close to 200 dollars. Plus you can always add on more if you need to.

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
Seems like tanglefree is the way to go. I have a sample of raffia coming that I am also gonna look at.
I run all tanglefree grass to after not having the best luck with the Avery grass. My tanglefree grass has been on my blind for 4 years and still going strong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.