Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have modified my MudBuddy Hyper again, from a short 32" drive shaft to a 42" drive shaft. A buddy gave me a 42" drive shaft housing with locked up bearings and shaft off a tall transome Hyper 23 hp. We built a new shaft and replaced seals and bearings and installed it on my Short transome Hyper.We have water tested it and found it does better getting off logs, and digging out in shallow water. The extra length also cut back on tiller torq. It also picked up 2-3 mph, must be because of prop running further away from areated water at back of boat, getting better bite with less slip. Anyone thinking of doing this mod To a MudBuddy should go ahead, you will be surprised what that extra 10" will do for your rigs performance.

· King Ding-A-Ling
2,249 Posts
2-3 MPH gain just from moving your prop back 10 inches? Why not go back to a 72" longtail? What kind of boat are you running it on?

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mudmotor Mod.

My reasoning for trying longer shaft and housing was getting added leverage and reach when hung up at transome when going over logs. Extra reach helps me put prop back in water. Also The housing I aquired had a 50 tooth pully on it giving me more shaft rpm. Motor turning 4350rpm gear ratio change is 1.87.1 my shaft had a 48 tooth pully. Mph gain was probably because of this. Gps says 32mph now, was 29-30. Motor is on Seaark 16'-48" rivited flat bottom jon. I wanted to stay with Hyper drive style motor because it is easier for old man to operate, and I can sit down when under way. We have a highly modded 58" LT GD crawfish model which we put a 29hp Big Block Briggs on. My son uses this motor on his 14'-48 rivited Lowe flat bottom, I can operate it for an hour or so, but it gets the best of me if I run it much longer. It's a young mans outfit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.