Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2nd gen. 2001 Pro Drive. Been fouling on the right side under load. New head gaskets,coils,plugs. Set valves, checked compression new gaskets in carb. Still fouling under way. Runs fine on bank but not in the water under way. Anybody have any ideas?? greatly appreciated!! THX BUBBA DUCK

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Maybe a flat cam lobe, Partial sheared fly way key, weak spark, leaking plug wire on that side. Intake manifold leak at head on that side.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the key ways. New sparkplugs and wires and coils also. Also put new head gaskets and valve cover gaskets. Checked compression, also maybe I have weak valve springs on that side?? Push rods looked good. Any info and guesses help. Starting too get a little stumped. THX BUBBA DUCK

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Still sounds like a weak or intermitent spark on that side. New coils gapes OK. and flywheel magnets cleaned up.?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Is the plug on that side actually wet with gas? Or just oil fouled? Is there a gas smell to oil? Does the motor have a stock 2 barrel Nikki carb? If so might have a carb issue, and limiter caps on it for mixture, on that side. Didn't mess with float setting? Had to replace a float needle and seat on a friends motor to solve a similar problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does have gas burning dark brown. Maybe it is a carb issue notioced one time gas behind air filter. THX Denny I keep pluggin away at it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would give carb a cleaning, and probe every orvis with a piece of copper wire and blow parts out with carb cleaner and compressed air. also check float needle to see if rubber tip is breaking down. The one I replaced in mine was stainless , but I have a 42 HSR Mikuni, seat was for a Harley Davidson Carb. Don't think they offer a stainless needle in the Nikki rebuild kit. Had to use the rubber tipped one in my friends motor that was in the kit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Denny, yes it is a stock carb not the Mikuni upgrade. Going too take it too the lawn mower man let him play with it. Will give him the info though and the suggestions. THX BUBBA DUCK

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Denny it finally bit the dust bent pushrod maybe a cam lobe. Just starting too open up the engine and take a look. OHH what fun!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts