Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 23HP vanguard on my go-devil LT and has always ran really good but last year starting dying while under a load, but would always restart after hitting the prime bulb, I replaced the fuel filter last year and it didn't help then I found out the fuel pump was most likely the cause so I put a new one on today and took it out, it ran great for about an hour and started doing the same thing, it will run all day at low rpm but die running WFO. I then noticed the PCV line coming out of the left valve cover had a kink in it pretty bad that was probably shut completely off and thought maybe that would cause the fuel pump not to be able to get vacuum. I unplugged the PCV for testing purposes and it never died again, am I on the right track or is there something else to look at, the carb performs great at all times it is just simply running out of fuel and always starts back up. I can run it WFO on the trailer and never dies just while under a load in the water. I am not sure how the fuel pump gets it vacuum off the crank case but I figured having a crimped PCV would cause a problem thanks guys.
Joe

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I have an 18 vanguard, does it have 3 lines coming and goin to the fuel pump? I had a bad line and one of the nipples was broken on mine, and a hose that was bad. Mine dies if the vent on the tank vibrates shut as well. Here's another question for ya, do you have the tank clear up at the front of the boat with a long fuel line or in the back? If you're running a long gas line u may need a secondary fuel pump

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mine did it the last couple years I had it, I believe it had something to do with the Vacuum where the Fuel pump ties into Valve cover. It some how must loose it's velocity. I did the same thing plus replaced fuel lines /filter rebuilt the carb. Finally I gave up and just put the buld under my boot and gave it a couple pumps once in a while to help old girl out.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hey guys I have a 23HP vanguard on my go-devil LT and has always ran really good but last year starting dying while under a load, but would always restart after hitting the prime bulb, I replaced the fuel filter last year and it didn't help then I found out the fuel pump was most likely the cause so I put a new one on today and took it out, it ran great for about an hour and started doing the same thing, it will run all day at low rpm but die running WFO. I then noticed the PCV line coming out of the left valve cover had a kink in it pretty bad that was probably shut completely off and thought maybe that would cause the fuel pump not to be able to get vacuum. I unplugged the PCV for testing purposes and it never died again, am I on the right track or is there something else to look at, the carb performs great at all times it is just simply running out of fuel and always starts back up. I can run it WFO on the trailer and never dies just while under a load in the water. I am not sure how the fuel pump gets it vacuum off the crank case but I figured having a crimped PCV would cause a problem thanks guys.
Joe
Have you tried running without squeeze bulb in fuel line? MB recommends not runing a bulb in fuel line, squeezing bulb sometimes locks up diafram in fuel pump and can ruin it. If fuel pump is in good shape cranking engine should prime carb and choking carb should ease cold starting. I would look at drop tube in your tank for a pin hole also. check tank vent and for moisture in bottom of tank. We recommend large transome mounted screwon fuel filters if boat sets outside.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried running without squeeze bulb in fuel line? MB recommends not runing a bulb in fuel line, squeezing bulb sometimes locks up diafram in fuel pump and can ruin it. If fuel pump is in good shape cranking engine should prime carb and choking carb should ease cold starting. I would look at drop tube in your tank for a pin hole also. check tank vent and for moisture in bottom of tank. We recommend large transome mounted screwon fuel filters if boat sets outside.
I haven't eliminated the bulb, last year I ran my other fuel tank and line with no change so I am sure it is not that either, can the PCV pinched cause the fuel pump not to draw vacuum, like I said it is a new fuel pump, filter and line. Once I unpinched the PCV it seemed to run fine, I think that fixed it but wanted an experts opinion whether or not that is possible. thanks

·
King Ding-A-Ling
1,969 Posts
I haven't eliminated the bulb, last year I ran my other fuel tank and line with no change so I am sure it is not that either, can the PCV pinched cause the fuel pump not to draw vacuum, like I said it is a new fuel pump, filter and line. Once I unpinched the PCV it seemed to run fine, I think that fixed it but wanted an experts opinion whether or not that is possible. thanks
sounds like an air leak or a week pump. Try eliminating all your quick connect fittings and shorted the hose up to about 4 feet. If that works and you still want you tank in the front invest in a 2-3 psi 12V fuel pump.

·
Registered
875 Posts
We had a small crack in carb once. Would run decent at low rpms or until warmed up then start sputtering and die on us

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like an air leak or a week pump. Try eliminating all your quick connect fittings and shorted the hose up to about 4 feet. If that works and you still want you tank in the front invest in a 2-3 psi 12V fuel pump.
It is a new pump and I think the old one was probably just fine also, my fuel line is about 4 feet long right now with only the connection at the tank, the rest is hose clamped, I am just running a pleeted plastic fuel filter and it is new that surely wouldn't cause too much restriction would it, if you run an electric fuel pump do you eliminate the vacuum fuel pump or still run it. thanks SNOTS
Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a new pump and I think the old one was probably just fine also, my fuel line is about 4 feet long right now with only the connection at the tank, the rest is hose clamped, I am just running a pleeted plastic fuel filter and it is new that surely wouldn't cause too much restriction would it, if you run an electric fuel pump do you eliminate the vacuum fuel pump or still run it. thanks SNOTS
Joe
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts