IAWaterfowlers

IAWaterfowlers (https://www.iawaterfowlers.com/)
-   The Lodge (https://www.iawaterfowlers.com/lodge/)
-   -   Bird report - north woods info (https://www.iawaterfowlers.com/62689/bird-report-north-woods-info)

quackmastermike 10-13-2016 03:20 PM

Bird report - north woods info
 
This will get things stirring...

Report from friends returning today from Lake of the Woods, MN after hunting and fishing since last Saturday:

Many many birds all over the lake. Way more mallards than they saw on previous 5 years.

Pictures seemed to show young immature birds (and they did a good job picking young drakes) so I doubt these were migrators, but at least there is a good report from way up wind...

Maybe that 20" of snow in Sask. got things moving last week.

The group got snowed on yesterday morning, so take it for what it is worth.

Friend in NC SD also reports new birds moving into the area.

Sorry, no secret spots or honey holes, but a report of some calendar birds and minor weather encouraged birds on the move.

Good luck and be safe.

2eagles 10-13-2016 03:56 PM

Re: Bird report - north woods info
 
A hunting Buddy in NoDak told us Monday that snow (not 20") in Sask didn't last very long and really didn't push birds the way we hope.

quackmastermike 10-13-2016 05:10 PM

Re: Bird report - north woods info
 
Likely calendar birds and less so on the migrator side.

LOTW may have just had some excellent local hatches. Either way, they will get here soon enough.

Hoping to avoid any mass fly over events this year and just a nice trickle. There will not doubt be flight days and I really hope to catch those.

Best of luck to all.

gopherhawk 10-14-2016 10:31 AM

Re: Bird report - north woods info
 
I can second this, we haven't had a front move through and really no migration so far. Some Redhead and Gadwall moving in but no notable migration at this point. I'm thinking that this year is shaping up to more of a trickle migration more than wave, which should lead to more consistent hunting opportunities for everyone! Halloween should be lights out for the guys up this direction... Get out and GO! GO! GO!:61:

avianhunt 10-14-2016 02:25 PM

Re: Bird report - north woods info
 
Just had 8 friends out in ND this past week Hunted 1/2 day Mon. all day Tues. and Wed. They were suppose to hunt through Sat. noon. 4 guys left Thurs. morning and the other 4 left early this morning. 28 birds total for the group. They were seeing plenty of bird but everything was very wary of calls and decoys, no new birds in the area.

Chesadore 10-14-2016 03:44 PM

Re: Bird report - north woods info
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by avianhunt (Post 660449)
Just had 8 friends out in ND this past week Hunted 1/2 day Mon. all day Tues. and Wed. They were suppose to hunt through Sat. noon. 4 guys left Thurs. morning and the other 4 left early this morning. 28 birds total for the group. They were seeing plenty of bird but everything was very wary of calls and decoys, no new birds in the area.

I just cannot comprehend this.

brentbullets 10-14-2016 05:18 PM

Re: Bird report - north woods info
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesadore (Post 660489)
I just cannot comprehend this.

Not so hard to comprehend, I am getting the same reports from people. Birds are stale and hard to get. Areas of ND are flooded and birds are scattered in those areas and have no reason to leave the flooded food source and other areas little to no water and birds have gotten pounded and hunted to shit.

Chesadore 10-15-2016 08:54 AM

Re: Bird report - north woods info
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brentbullets (Post 660561)
Not so hard to comprehend, I am getting the same reports from people. Birds are stale and hard to get. Areas of ND are flooded and birds are scattered in those areas and have no reason to leave the flooded food source and other areas little to no water and birds have gotten pounded and hunted to shit.

Then go to another area that isn't flooded. That's the beauty of ND and the ability to be nomadic in your freelancing. There are soo many ducks honkers and specks all throughout there right not I can't comprehend spending a week of PTO and probably $2k in addition to just throw in the towel because it wasn't as easy as they thought it would be.

avianhunt 10-15-2016 05:16 PM

Re: Bird report - north woods info
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesadore (Post 660833)
Then go to another area that isn't flooded. That's the beauty of ND and the ability to be nomadic in your freelancing. There are soo many ducks honkers and specks all throughout there right not I can't comprehend spending a week of PTO and probably $2k in addition to just throw in the towel because it wasn't as easy as they thought it would be.

When you've locked your self into a place to stay it is hard to pickup and move 2-3 hrs to a different part of the state with no guarantees of better results. They were seeing plenty of birds, tried different setups, split into different areas and still had the same results. Sometimes you just admit defeat and regroup and plan for the next trip.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 - 2017, IAW - Some Rights Reserve