Red Rock Information - IAWaterfowlers
Duck Hunting
 

Go Back   IAWaterfowlers > IAW > The Lodge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
Just Got Here
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 6

Thanked: 0 times
Default Red Rock Information





I'm a college student at ISU and am planning to hunt Red Rock for the first time this weekend with a buddy. We are planning to spend all of Friday scouting but just looking on some advice of areas to go check out. Not looking for someone to put me on the X as I'm sure there will be a lot of people out this weekend but with it being new, a handful of areas to go look over would be extremely beneficial. Never being there before is there much for flooded timber or marsh or is it mainly big water?

Thanks in advance everyone!
hunt_britto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
IAW Veteran
 
IowaWaterfowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 908

Thanked: 256 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information





DNR website has quite a bit of info on RR. With the high water this year I'm sure there is access to lots of land, but who knows what the water looks like underneath. From Ames originally, and never bothered with RR, found different options that provided plenty of shooting.
IowaWaterfowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
IAW Veteran
 
nobands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: jasper county
Posts: 987

Thanked: 1,336 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

I dont hunt it much anymore. Lake is still 4 to 5 foot above normal fall pool ,but dropping. From what i saw earlier this fall not a lot of cover, atleast in the areas i used to hunt. Be careful if walking in ,the mud there can either give you a heart attack or suck you in like quick sand if you stop moving.
Good luck though !
nobands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2019, 06:51 AM   #4
Pintail
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 347

Thanked: 168 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

1st question is what kind of boat do you have? A 17-20' boat with a mud motor is highly recommended, but with the lake being 4' high right now, a regular outboard should be fine. Remember it is a BIG lake and getting out into the open water in high winds with a little johnboat is very sketchy.
__________________
Face down, ass up, that is how I like to duck!
Bassonjigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Just Got Here
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 6

Thanked: 0 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaWaterfowler10 View Post
DNR website has quite a bit of info on RR. With the high water this year I'm sure there is access to lots of land, but who knows what the water looks like underneath. From Ames originally, and never bothered with RR, found different options that provided plenty of shooting.
I've hunted Colo and parts of Saylorville with decent success but haven't found a good walk in property that truly holds birds. Any advice there?
hunt_britto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Ringneck
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ames
Posts: 130

Thanked: 59 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

Ever hunted Chichaqua? They draw for blinds and they see saylorville and Red Rock birds over there. 515-967-2596
Coldfronts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
Pintail
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 347

Thanked: 168 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_britto View Post
I've hunted Colo and parts of Saylorville with decent success but haven't found a good walk in property that truly holds birds. Any advice there?

If you are looking for walk in opportunities, Red Rock ain't it! You need a boat, just like Saylorville to access the good areas. Try Snake Creek, Harrier Marsh, or Hendrickson Marsh areas.
Take a look at this website to find and locate Public Hunting Areas.
https://iowadnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps...5a96901882a4b7
__________________
Face down, ass up, that is how I like to duck!
Bassonjigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
IAW Veteran
 
IowaWaterfowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 908

Thanked: 256 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_britto View Post
I've hunted Colo and parts of Saylorville with decent success but haven't found a good walk in property that truly holds birds. Any advice there?
Still hunt these areas today so you're not gonna get much out of me. Like stated earlier, DNR website, google maps, just look for bodies of water. I've put on a lot of miles and early mornings to get that sort of hunting.
IowaWaterfowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Bluewing Teal
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ames
Posts: 41

Thanked: 12 times
Default

I’ve spent the last 13 years hunting here in a central Iowa. I still haven’t made it to Red Rock! I scouted there one year and the. It was so flooded in the fall i couldn’t hunt anywhere i had scouted... Maybe my neighbor will take me there some day! There are lots of marshes around and I’m sure you want to go in set up and kill a limit of ducks, however that’s probably not gonna happen. My friends and I are over 100 birds already this year and I will give you some tips. Be mobile, switch to jump shooting birds, work harder and go early. I’m in my 40’s and will walk a mile to kill one duck.. last thing if your going hunting be early don’t be the asshat driving your boat or walking through the marsh in the few minutes before Legal shooting Time... it’s a dick move.
SpoonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
Just Got Here
 
Kimber22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Altoona
Posts: 10

Thanked: 6 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonDuck View Post
Iíve spent the last 13 years hunting here in a central Iowa. I still havenít made it to Red Rock! I scouted there one year and the. It was so flooded in the fall i couldnít hunt anywhere i had scouted... Maybe my neighbor will take me there some day! There are lots of marshes around and Iím sure you want to go in set up and kill a limit of ducks, however thatís probably not gonna happen. My friends and I are over 100 birds already this year and I will give you some tips. Be mobile, switch to jump shooting birds, work harder and go early. Iím in my 40ís and will walk a mile to kill one duck.. last thing if your going hunting be early donít be the asshat driving your boat or walking through the marsh in the few minutes before Legal shooting Time... itís a dick move.
AMEN!
Kimber22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #11
IAW Veteran
 
jobu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Waukee
Posts: 857

Thanked: 127 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonDuck View Post
Iíve spent the last 13 years hunting here in a central Iowa. I still havenít made it to Red Rock! I scouted there one year and the. It was so flooded in the fall i couldnít hunt anywhere i had scouted... Maybe my neighbor will take me there some day! There are lots of marshes around and Iím sure you want to go in set up and kill a limit of ducks, however thatís probably not gonna happen. My friends and I are over 100 birds already this year and I will give you some tips. Be mobile, switch to jump shooting birds, work harder and go early. Iím in my 40ís and will walk a mile to kill one duck.. last thing if your going hunting be early donít be the asshat driving your boat or walking through the marsh in the few minutes before Legal shooting Time... itís a dick move.
The dick move is jump shooting birds and crying about guys with boats putting in too close to your precious first light shooting time.
jobu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
Ringneck
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ames
Posts: 130

Thanked: 59 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobu View Post
The dick move is jump shooting birds and crying about guys with boats putting in too close to your precious first light shooting time.


AMEN!!!!!
Coldfronts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
Just Got Here
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 6

Thanked: 0 times
Default Re: Red Rock Information

Well the weekend went well, we found a spot to walk in that was flooded and shot out both Friday night and Saturday AM. I am familiar and have hunted some of the places y'all have suggested and see a couple I will need to look into more! Thanks everyone!
hunt_britto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 - 2017, IAW - Some Rights Reserve
.