Unique ducks - Page 4 - IAWaterfowlers
Duck Hunting
 

Go Back   IAWaterfowlers > IAW > The Lodge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
Ringneck
 
ktmurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ames
Posts: 142

Thanked: 120 times
Default Re: Unique ducks





There were a few Cinnamon Teal spotted in Iowa this year, mostly out in SW IA (Forney/Riverton) but I got decent pictures of one near Indianola this spring as well as a Blue Wing X Cinnamon Teal hybrid in Story County in a small flooded pasture near Prairie Moon Winery in Ames. They're much more predominant during spring migration in this part of the country. Last spring I also found a leucistic hen Shoveler in Harrier Marsh (back when it had water) that would have looked pretty neat on the wall.

Last weekend I called in a Black Duck X Mallard hybrid on the Mississippi for a buddy to lay the hurt on too.

Good time of year right now to get out and try to shoot some of the more interesting stuff!
Attached Thumbnails (click picture to enlarge it)
Click image for larger version

Name:	greenisland-6.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	4771   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0172.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	554.6 KB
ID:	4772  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CITE Hybrid (6).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	4773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8023.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	571.9 KB
ID:	4774  

ktmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #41
Ringneck
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 102

Thanked: 27 times
Default Re: Unique ducks





Quote:
Originally Posted by feathhd View Post
Harlequin Duck
Asian Bar Goose
Egyptian Goose
Surf Scooters
Sandusky


The one bird I have not shot is the cinnamon teal. I will shoot one before to long.

Did you take pictures of any of these? Would be interesting to see.

Last edited by Mallard+1; 11-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Mallard+1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #42
dreamweav9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Thanked: 0 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBelle View Post
Looking for birds I can't remember what the circumstances were, but I did have my scope on me and the bird was super cooperative for some long looks. Had a couple friends that came out to see him, too. What happened to the pits? I used to spend quite a bit of time down there - either on my horse or hanging out on the beach.
this summer two punks from boone a kid from ames took a 16 year old girl from South Hamilton out of her yard, took her to the pits, and she is now a rape victim. awful stuff. that was a big deal.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #43
dreamweav9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Thanked: 0 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmurphy View Post
There were a few Cinnamon Teal spotted in Iowa this year, mostly out in SW IA (Forney/Riverton) but I got decent pictures of one near Indianola this spring as well as a Blue Wing X Cinnamon Teal hybrid in Story County in a small flooded pasture near Prairie Moon Winery in Ames. They're much more predominant during spring migration in this part of the country. Last spring I also found a leucistic hen Shoveler in Harrier Marsh (back when it had water) that would have looked pretty neat on the wall.

Last weekend I called in a Black Duck X Mallard hybrid on the Mississippi for a buddy to lay the hurt on too.

Good time of year right now to get out and try to shoot some of the more interesting stuff!
harrier huh? you forget places like that exist when there is no more than 2 inches of water in places 20x its size haha. Wouldn't have minded knowing about that flooded pasture only 15 minutes from me.. everything neat comes through iowa in the spring though..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #44
IAW Veteran
 
IowaWaterfowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 911

Thanked: 257 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweav9 View Post
this summer two punks from boone a kid from ames took a 16 year old girl from South Hamilton out of her yard, took her to the pits, and she is now a rape victim. awful stuff. that was a big deal.
Actually it was a kid from Boone and two kids from Gilbert which is the school I attend. Now all charges were dropped because one the kid from Boone and the younger kid from Gilbert were seen on film at a gas station at the time of the incident and the girl admitted she made it up. The oldest kid from Gilbert did not do anything to her either as he was released from jail about a month ago. I hunt some of his land with a couple of buddies. Good kids at least the ones from Gilbert.
IowaWaterfowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #45
IAW Veteran
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sitting by the phone waiting for Belle to call
Posts: 1,912

Thanked: 309 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Quote:
What are some unique ducks you guys have
In Iowa? Well this year unique ducks for Iowa will be Mallards, Gadwall, Pintail, Wigeon, Teal. Need I go on?
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #46
dreamweav9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Thanked: 0 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaWaterfowler10 View Post
Actually it was a kid from Boone and two kids from Gilbert which is the school I attend. Now all charges were dropped because one the kid from Boone and the younger kid from Gilbert were seen on film at a gas station at the time of the incident and the girl admitted she made it up. The oldest kid from Gilbert did not do anything to her either as he was released from jail about a month ago. I hunt some of his land with a couple of buddies. Good kids at least the ones from Gilbert.
News to me! thanks for the heads up. Gilbert, eh? sucks to suck i guess, Norsemen for life
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #47
IAW Veteran
 
IowaWaterfowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 911

Thanked: 257 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Who won the game this year! 42-20 Norse aren't like they used to be
IowaWaterfowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #48
Mallard
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 664

Thanked: 283 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

The cousin I posted about earlier has another unique lookin bird to add to his resume.I think but am not sure yet that he may have shot a Bean Goose. This thing is as big as a honker,and looked somewhat like a spec but it has a black tip and some black mottling beginning to show up on its bill. It also lacks the black barring across its belly but does have the orange feet and legs.I gave him crap thinking he shot a farm goose but he said it flew in with a small flock of honkers,it was actually leading the flock,and was calling just like the rest of the group. I have already called the DNR and will be forwarding information to them regarding it. It does seem like we get more of the oddities when we have drought conditions than when things are normal or wet. I suppose its because the concentration of the birds make them more obvious to us when in the field.
2Chessies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #49
Bluewing Teal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montrose
Posts: 51

Thanked: 21 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Been hunting ducks for 30 yrs and killed my 1st pair of black ducks this weekend. Thought that was pretty cool.
flyinghi_25s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #50
Ringneck
 
ktmurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ames
Posts: 142

Thanked: 120 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghi_25s View Post
Been hunting ducks for 30 yrs and killed my 1st pair of black ducks this weekend. Thought that was pretty cool.
I'm going to assume "a pair of black ducks" means two singles, one on each day to keep it all nice and legal
ktmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #51
Bluewing Teal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montrose
Posts: 51

Thanked: 21 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmurphy View Post
I'm going to assume "a pair of black ducks" means two singles, one on each day to keep it all nice and legal
Nope I mean a "pair" a hen and a drake-during the weekend- which is two days long. legal??? never heard of the word.
flyinghi_25s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #52
Dakota Cyclone
 
IowaFowlFever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Aberdeen, SD
Posts: 1,419

Thanked: 684 times
Default Re: Unique ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Chessies View Post
The cousin I posted about earlier has another unique lookin bird to add to his resume.I think but am not sure yet that he may have shot a Bean Goose. This thing is as big as a honker,and looked somewhat like a spec but it has a black tip and some black mottling beginning to show up on its bill. It also lacks the black barring across its belly but does have the orange feet and legs.I gave him crap thinking he shot a farm goose but he said it flew in with a small flock of honkers,it was actually leading the flock,and was calling just like the rest of the group. I have already called the DNR and will be forwarding information to them regarding it. It does seem like we get more of the oddities when we have drought conditions than when things are normal or wet. I suppose its because the concentration of the birds make them more obvious to us when in the field.
I have a pic on my phone of one also, I will try to put it up. A buddy of mines cousin "yeah real reliable" shot it by Chelsea, SD.
Attached Thumbnails (click picture to enlarge it)
Click image for larger version

Name:	weird goose 2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	4790   Click image for larger version

Name:	weird goose 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	4791  

Click image for larger version

Name:	weird goose.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	4792  
IowaFowlFever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where'd 3.5tens ducks,ducks,ducks post go? mudhungry The Lodge 38 11-05-2011 08:44 PM
Ducks Ducks and more Ducks. BeakBuster The Lodge 10 11-05-2011 06:41 PM
There are no ducks here.... Matt Southern Zone 9 11-09-2009 04:29 PM
Most unique band... altrocker1 The Lodge 4 10-28-2008 01:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 - 2017, IAW - Some Rights Reserve
.