re-flocking bigfoot head - Page 2 - IAWaterfowlers
Duck Hunting
 

Go Back   IAWaterfowlers > Waterfowl Forums > Decoy Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
Bluewing Teal
 
iceking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 45

Thanked: 2 times
Default Re: re-flocking bigfoot head





I just used a flat black paint and then flocked a BF deek and repainted it.
Its my Dads its about 12 years old and has been living outside in moms garden for the entire time and needed to be brought back to life.

Looks awesome though
iceking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
Widgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163

Thanked: 14 times
Default Re: re-flocking bigfoot head





My brother use to work for a flocking company. The flock process someone mentioned is electrostatic. But what my brother did was lightly sand the decoy head, painted it, then applied the glue. Next using a hand flocker, he shakes the flock onto the head. After that using a heat gun to help dry the glue. But working there he had access to different kinds of flocking. They were even approached by a goose silhouette company to flock the heads on the images. My brother did a few silo's for a friend and they turned out pretty neat.
zinkguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Bluewing Teal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 56

Thanked: 6 times
Default Re: re-flocking bigfoot head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkguy View Post
My brother use to work for a flocking company. The flock process someone mentioned is electrostatic. But what my brother did was lightly sand the decoy head, painted it, then applied the glue. Next using a hand flocker, he shakes the flock onto the head. After that using a heat gun to help dry the glue. But working there he had access to different kinds of flocking. They were even approached by a goose silhouette company to flock the heads on the images. My brother did a few silo's for a friend and they turned out pretty neat.

I was doing some hand flocking myself last night.
Snows&Mallards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Members who found this post useful:
Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
Ringneck
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 117

Thanked: 17 times
Default Re: re-flocking bigfoot head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Slayer View Post
Just finished up flocking a bunch of heads last week. Flat Black Rustoleum brush on paint. Let it sit out for a few hours to thicken up since it is oil based and is a bit runny. Brush it on good and thick then apply your flocking. I ordered some of the Donjer nylon and like it a lot. Left mine out in the 100 degree sun to bake on during the day and they look great..

Taylor, how many did you flock?? how much paint did you have to use?? You let the paint can sit out in the sun, to thicken up, for you brushed it in?? Thanks bud
buttski00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
Pintail
 
Diver Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Goose Lake, IA
Posts: 355

Thanked: 227 times
Default Re: re-flocking bigfoot head

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttski00 View Post
Taylor, how many did you flock?? how much paint did you have to use?? You let the paint can sit out in the sun, to thicken up, for you brushed it in?? Thanks bud
I ended up doing just shy of two dozen heads, floaters and fullbodies. I bought the smaller bag of Donjer nylon flocking and used about half of it. I'll just save the rest in case I need it down the road. I got a quart of the flat black Rustoleum from work and you can't even tell any of it was used. I just left the can open in the shed for 3-4 hours so it wasn't as runny. Hope this helps!
Diver Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
IAW Veteran
 
Wendlwacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Des Moines
Posts: 878

Thanked: 42 times
Default Re: re-flocking bigfoot head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBEII View Post
Am I the only 1 that fills up a 2 gallon zip lock bag with flocking (about 1/3 full).......Takes the head.... that already is heavily coated with rustoleum oil base paint....and then drops it in the bag. Zip it close.....shake it up and after you get all the bare paint covered....take your hands and start squeezing the outside of the bag all the way around the head and neck. Keep manipulating the head inside the bag moving it around and keeping it in the flocking.

I shake it lightly 1st before squeezing so most of the paint gets covered up and isn't wiping off on the inside of the bag.

By firmly pressing it on you get much better adhesion and probably a little thicker. My opinion.

Open the bag and grab the bill and tap the base of the neck a couple times on the cement (While still in the bag to collect what comes off) and wah-lah.....Done. Painting takes the longest....once painted, you can do 1 head about every 30 seconds. No mess with the applicator crap people are mostly using and those pumps don't apply 10% of what presuure you do with your hands.
I did mine this way and they hold up very well!
Wendlwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Ringneck
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 117

Thanked: 17 times
Default Re: re-flocking bigfoot head

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttski00 View Post
Taylor, how many did you flock?? how much paint did you have to use?? You let the paint can sit out in the sun, to thicken up, for you brushed it in?? Thanks bud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Slayer View Post
I ended up doing just shy of two dozen heads, floaters and fullbodies. I bought the smaller bag of Donjer nylon flocking and used about half of it. I'll just save the rest in case I need it down the road. I got a quart of the flat black Rustoleum from work and you can't even tell any of it was used. I just left the can open in the shed for 3-4 hours so it wasn't as runny. Hope this helps!
Cool, looks like I got a project for next week!!! thanks again bud
buttski00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protecting Flocking Iowa Trapper Waterfowl Q & A 9 07-18-2012 10:38 PM
DIY flocking kits.. Dirt17 The Lodge 10 09-24-2011 10:16 PM
Re-flocking goose heads IAMALLARDMAN Decoy Forum 4 08-11-2010 08:58 PM
First time flocking isuhunter Decoy Forum 13 08-14-2009 06:40 PM
Flocking ? orange legs Decoy Forum 4 09-08-2008 08:51 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 - 2017, IAW - Some Rights Reserve
.