Report November 21 - Page 7 - IAWaterfowlers
Duck Hunting
 

Go Back   IAWaterfowlers > Waterfowl Forums > Zones & Areas to Hunt > Bird Movement

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #79
IAW Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Marshalltown
Posts: 1,147

Thanked: 323 times
Default Re: Report November 21





Waders when I grew up were hip boots or knee boots. 64 years ago when I killed my first mallard it was a lot tougher but we didn't stay out all day either. Too smart for that, there were pheasants to shoot. Many a year of shooting 100 ducks and over 100 pheasants and ate em all along with the squirrels and rabbits.
14ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #80
Mallard
 
master_ducker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newton
Posts: 762

Thanked: 649 times
Default Re: Report November 21





Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLEFFLER View Post
My pops always tells his stories of roughing it when he was younger. They never had extra money for gear so he would wear his blue jeans and coat and hit the marsh. Many times he would go retrieve the ducks in his blue jeans and shoes. Or strip down at the end and go after them. He loves the boatblind and heaters we have these days
I had a day when i was around 18 or so and couldnt afford waders i would throw my decoys out and shott the ducks hoping the wind would blow them to the bank then I would strip down to my undies and get my decoys and walk back out..... damn i wouldnt do that now if you payed me.

I also would ride my bike cause I got my license taken away for sppeding (hence the race cars) and i would put the decoys on my back and the gun on the handle bars in the cold and sometimes snow just to go shoot ducks
master_ducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #81
IAW Veteran
 
IAMallardchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Muscatine
Posts: 1,757

Thanked: 902 times
Default Re: Report November 21

I remember a day when I was 16 when we walked in to hunt the marsh. It had snowed a couple inches the night before and that morning was in the mid 20's with a strong NW wind. The decoys got iced up from the wave action and I decided to go out and knock the ice off them. About half-way through the chore my gloves had turned to ice and when I picked up the next decoy it slipped through my grasp and I reached out to catch it. I lost my balance in the belly deep water took a plunge into the ice cold water. I headed back for the truck leaving the decoys for my brothers to pick up. When I got back to the truck I couldn't get the key turned to unlock the door and had to wait almost an hour for my brothers to get back. By that time I had ice forming on the inside of my waders and I might have been turning a little blue. The entire ride home I was shaking uncontrollably and most likely had hypothermia setting in. At home I jumped in a bathtub full of hot water and as I warmed up my toes, feet, fingers and hands throbbed in pain.

The sad thing is, if I could have went the next day, I would have.
__________________
A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, a debt of which he proposes to pay for with your money.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
IAMallardchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Members who found this post useful:
 
Old 11-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #82
Somateria spectabilis
 
bullcan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 10,125

Thanked: 3,549 times
Default Re: Report November 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMallardchaser View Post
I remember a day when I was 16 when we walked in to hunt the marsh. It had snowed a couple inches the night before and that morning was in the mid 20's with a strong NW wind. The decoys got iced up from the wave action and I decided to go out and knock the ice off them. About half-way through the chore my gloves had turned to ice and when I picked up the next decoy it slipped through my grasp and I reached out to catch it. I lost my balance in the belly deep water took a plunge into the ice cold water. I headed back for the truck leaving the decoys for my brothers to pick up. When I got back to the truck I couldn't get the key turned to unlock the door and had to wait almost an hour for my brothers to get back. By that time I had ice forming on the inside of my waders and I might have been turning a little blue. The entire ride home I was shaking uncontrollably and most likely had hypothermia setting in. At home I jumped in a bathtub full of hot water and as I warmed up my toes, feet, fingers and hands throbbed in pain.

The sad thing is, if I could have went the next day, I would have.
Momma whoop ya?
__________________
It's that wild drive inside of a waterfowler that allows us to feel no fear and smile in the face of pain.

" Shooting Divers Is Like Trying To Shoot Carnival Rabbits......From The Ferris Wheel With A Drunk Carnie At The Helm "

"Sea ducks are for me. Let's hunt in 10 footers and sink the boat. THAT is excitement!!!!"

My boat runs on gas; not "Thank you's."
bullcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #83
Somateria spectabilis
 
bullcan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 10,125

Thanked: 3,549 times
Default Re: Report November 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveeem3 View Post
You just asked in your last post where are all the die hards at as if nobody was left hunting? Ill tell you where the diehards are at there out there hunting and staying the fuck quite about how they do. Youd have to be an idiot to come on here and constantly post how your doing an absolute idiot the guys killing birds consistantly don't post on this site when there doing it.
Then why don't you invite someone else along for the fun? I did just that today, & we had a blast even though the majority of ducks are south of us. We got 1 drake can and lost another after she recovered and flew away.
__________________
It's that wild drive inside of a waterfowler that allows us to feel no fear and smile in the face of pain.

" Shooting Divers Is Like Trying To Shoot Carnival Rabbits......From The Ferris Wheel With A Drunk Carnie At The Helm "

"Sea ducks are for me. Let's hunt in 10 footers and sink the boat. THAT is excitement!!!!"

My boat runs on gas; not "Thank you's."
bullcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #84
IAW Veteran
 
giveeem3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,522

Thanked: 1,115 times
Default Re: Report November 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullcan View Post
Then why don't you invite someone else along for the fun? I did just that today, & we had a blast even though the majority of ducks are south of us. We got 1 drake can and lost another after she recovered and flew away.
When you have a couple close hunting partners you always hunt with and your boat only hunts 3-4 guys its hard enough making room for just one other close hunting partner let alone inviting guys I don't know. Dont get me wrong I'm sure there are a number of guys on here that would be great to hunt with and I applaud those that do invite people its just not a realistic option for alot of guys including myself unless were field hunting and we usually pass that up and go out of state from when it freezes up or ends here till the end of january. Sufficient enough answer for you?
giveeem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #85
IAW Veteran
 
feathhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Iowa
Posts: 6,443

Thanked: 1,922 times
Default Re: Report November 21

Quote:
Thanks for the ignorance that they are still all north.
Toye what I am telling you is early vs late numbers here are different than what you see calculated in the rest of the state. Reason being, we do NOT have early season duck habitat to attract and hold good numbers of early migrators. I wish we did because I would shoot them in the face just the same. Now as we get into the later half of the season you will see that the OX-BOW counts are far greater later than the numbers published early. Look it up for yourself. Fact

Now as I said, It doesnt matter in 1.7 billion ducks are sitting in the great state of Mo. The only ones that matter are the ones that stop in Iowa. They are the only ones I have a chance at killn. It is vital to understand when that bulk of birds show up. Its not early but later and that is where Our Opportunity is the greatest.

Sure you can structure a season early where you can sell a lic to those who tend to like warm temps vs cold temps. Yes we are in the Biz of selling a lic but we should also be in the BIZ of killing ducks. Now if you look at the Big picture on early season hunting, yes guys are killn ducks. Not all of them are killn limits. 1 2 3 4 and thats fine. they are killn none the less.

Later in the season, its not that you dont have duck hunters hunting, they have already bought a lic but they are HUNTING OTHER THINGS LATE IN THE SEASON LIKE PHEASANTS AND DEER. By your method of rational we should have a duck season that opens and closes before the Opening of Pheasant season. God knows with a structure like that we would have a million duck hunters trying to kill that 1 duck that is in the state of Iowa.

I told you. Habitat Differences between regions is what drives duck numbers in the region. Some have the best of both, others have 1 and some in central Iowa have next to zero. Not everyone in the state is blessed to have the best of both worlds. Early season habitat and late season habitat. Not all of Iowa can be painted with one color. That is what I have a problem with when you make a statement that all ducks or most ducks are south of us already.

The only ones that matter are the ones that stop. Those sitting in Mo. dont do me as an Iowa duck hunter a bit of good during an Iowa duck season.

With 90k sitting at SQ Refuge in Mo. thats a good number dont get me wrong but the nearly half a million that sit north of me is still a bigger number than the present 90k sitting at SQ. So have the bulk of our ducks gone south of us? HELL NO, they are still stacking up just North of us. Is it going to get good? You bet in the next few weeks it will be on fire.
__________________
F/H/D
feathhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Members who found this post useful:
Old 11-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #86
IAW Veteran
 
bd2135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Spencer IA
Posts: 1,285

Thanked: 552 times
Default Re: Report November 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathhd View Post
Toye what I am telling you is early vs late numbers here are different than what you see calculated in the rest of the state. Reason being, we do NOT have early season duck habitat to attract and hold good numbers of early migrators. I wish we did because I would shoot them in the face just the same. Now as we get into the later half of the season you will see that the OX-BOW counts are far greater later than the numbers published early. Look it up for yourself. Fact

Now as I said, It doesnt matter in 1.7 billion ducks are sitting in the great state of Mo. The only ones that matter are the ones that stop in Iowa. They are the only ones I have a chance at killn. It is vital to understand when that bulk of birds show up. Its not early but later and that is where Our Opportunity is the greatest.

Sure you can structure a season early where you can sell a lic to those who tend to like warm temps vs cold temps. Yes we are in the Biz of selling a lic but we should also be in the BIZ of killing ducks. Now if you look at the Big picture on early season hunting, yes guys are killn ducks. Not all of them are killn limits. 1 2 3 4 and thats fine. they are killn none the less.

Later in the season, its not that you dont have duck hunters hunting, they have already bought a lic but they are HUNTING OTHER THINGS LATE IN THE SEASON LIKE PHEASANTS AND DEER. By your method of rational we should have a duck season that opens and closes before the Opening of Pheasant season. God knows with a structure like that we would have a million duck hunters trying to kill that 1 duck that is in the state of Iowa.

I told you. Habitat Differences between regions is what drives duck numbers in the region. Some have the best of both, others have 1 and some in central Iowa have next to zero. Not everyone in the state is blessed to have the best of both worlds. Early season habitat and late season habitat. Not all of Iowa can be painted with one color. That is what I have a problem with when you make a statement that all ducks or most ducks are south of us already.

The only ones that matter are the ones that stop. Those sitting in Mo. dont do me as an Iowa duck hunter a bit of good during an Iowa duck season.

With 90k sitting at SQ Refuge in Mo. thats a good number dont get me wrong but the nearly half a million that sit north of me is still a bigger number than the present 90k sitting at SQ. So have the bulk of our ducks gone south of us? HELL NO, they are still stacking up just North of us. Is it going to get good? You bet in the next few weeks it will be on fire.
You guys on that side of the state should be on fire soon. But remember some places are not. I walked on a very large lake today. And the open water have had trucks in a circle around it watching the ducks, field spreads just about everywhere. My hunting waterfowl, ducks, is close to an end. Early season we shot 3 man limits of ducks every day out. We actually picked up decoys second opener before the sun was up, with a 3 man limit. My point being I hate it when talk of messing with my season dates comes up. I.am frozen by Thanksgiving most years. I hope the guys on the river can get a new zone to better suit there needs and help them kill ducks.
__________________
2 is 1 and 1 is 0

Last edited by bd2135; 11-22-2013 at 11:26 PM.
bd2135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
November 17 Harvest Report dreamweav9 Harvest Reports 21 11-17-2013 11:47 PM
November 7 Harvest Report High Hens Harvest Reports 47 11-10-2013 02:44 PM
November 6th Harvest Report UIUhunter4 Harvest Reports 18 11-07-2013 12:47 AM
November 3rd Harvest Report TheDuckSlayer Harvest Reports 38 11-05-2013 12:20 PM
November 2nd Harvest Report TheDuckSlayer Harvest Reports 14 11-03-2013 04:58 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 - 2017, IAW - Some Rights Reserve
.